Describe Books In Pursuance Of The Book of Nightmares

Original Title: The Book of Nightmares
ISBN: 0395120985 (ISBN13: 9780395120989)
Edition Language: English
Free The Book of Nightmares  Download Books Online
The Book of Nightmares Paperback | Pages: 88 pages
Rating: 4.23 | 2248 Users | 106 Reviews

Narrative Concering Books The Book of Nightmares

1 This book is at least a week overdue having sat on a table in front of the television after one failed attempt (by me) to read it but it just looks so Badass with the arcane symbols and worn typography and shit so I saved it to try again, swearing I will get through you. 2 My friends are often frustrated by my continued insistence that I don't understand poetry and despite the fact that I am starting to think that sometimes I do in fact get something out of it then books like this come along leaving me thinking can you really get away with the phrase unicorn phallus and still call it poetry? or moreover how can you use the phrase unicorn phallus incorrectly? that is, if you're going to use it, man maybe don't talk about it in the middle of a stanza about watching your wife sleeping because that's just sort of weird and not the cool kind of weird but like just the kind of weird where looking at your wife makes you think of horses 3 Essentially for the uninitiated this is one poem in ten mostly unrelated parts each of which is subdivided into 6 or so unrelated sections meaning this is a book of 60 or so poem-y things meaning you know it's mostly a regular book of poetry with granted a fucking cool name. there are lots of stanzas about watching his newborn sleep and his wife sleep and some cool parts about bears and rain and fire and i gotta say i like the bears and the rain and the fire. but mostly there's a lot of being fascinated with the idea of writing a FUCKING LONG POEM which yknow i understand but maybe talking about how your work is epic inside of your Epic Work sort of dilutes the grandness? and maybe if you have a book of one poem which is really c'mon ten poems and the first one talks a lot about being first and the last one well you get it and the middle ones are full of like people sleeping and random asides that don't totally carry a theme and then one unicorn phallus i dunno maybe you shouldn't call your book The Book Of Fucking Nightmares and maybe not such a cool cover? cuz srsly if you just called it A Book Where People Sleep And There Are Some Bears I would still read that book but i wouldn't be so annoyed with you when I hit the unicorn phallus just because you write a lot of phrases with a lot of line breaks it's not always poetry (case in point) and just because you can write weird it don't always mean you can write good although I know you can cuz srsly the bits with the bears and rains and fires more of that cuz that I might find myself returning to before I let this slide into the drop-box at the library.

Specify Out Of Books The Book of Nightmares

Title:The Book of Nightmares
Author:Galway Kinnell
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 88 pages
Published:May 18th 1973 by Mariner Books (first published 1971)
Categories:Poetry. Literature. Contemporary

Rating Out Of Books The Book of Nightmares
Ratings: 4.23 From 2248 Users | 106 Reviews

Article Out Of Books The Book of Nightmares
3.5 stars. I suppose it deserves five stars but since it is a book of nightmares, I will withhold. Because I'm just that capricious. Ten poems about death, about desecration, about worms and smells, about war and murder, blood, loss and rotting. It is about lice and flies and maggots. It is about betrayal and all that is profane. It is about the inescapable toll of aging and the march of years. It is about our complicity in life's ugliness and crimes. Poems from a less than rosy viewpoint.

A broken clock is right twice a day. That is how I explain to myself that I really like these poems. Usually I find Kinnell's poems to be overblown and melodramatic in a way that is unctious at best. These poems, however, really do what they set out to do, and a little melodrama fits the prospectus just right. Here, Kinnell takes risks, psychological and poetic, that I have not seen in the other books of his that I've picked up. In fact, this one is the only book of his that I would recommend,

I freaking loved this.

Poems that move the soul by appealing to wonder. The work attempts to embrace the immenseness of existence, the disriptive consequences of our mortality.

Being somewhat familiar with Galway Kinnell, but having only read a few isolated poems in anthologies, I was unprepared for the power of this collection. The Book of Nightmares is a dreamlike meandering through fears both real and imaginary. With the fragmented logic of dreams, Kinnell encounters horrors in the ordinary and extraordinary. Things only somewhat make sense, and the impressions created pierce the soul. But this is not merely a book of horrors. Kinnell imbues the poems with

So I did not want to finish this book. I know that's it's only 70-ish pages but I just didn't really like the flow of the poems themselves. I was interested in the subject matter. I think maybe this would make a very good short story collection.I can see how different this must have been when it came out. I commented on how I wonder why this is considered a masterpiece. It's very different from a lot of things circulating at the time. I think I would like to give other collections by him a try.

why the FUCK is galway kinnell not poet laureate???? somoeone explaiN??? in all seriousness, if you've not read this yet, please go to your local library or the closest bookstore or, if you have to, even order it online. it's worth it. this is my favorite book in the world. it makes me want to throw up in the best possible way. it's disgusting. it's beautiful.